Unless you properly prepare for tropical storms and hurricanes in advance, not only your property and business, but your life could be at risk. This may require evacuating. Plan your evacuation in advance, especially if you live in a hurricane-prone area.
Have your Evacuation Grab Bags ready to go. Make sure they’re waterproof and easy to carry. Essentials include:
- 2 gallons of water per person, per day for at least 3 days (including animals).
- Non-perishable foods, and a can opener for canned foods.
- Pet food and bowls.
- Clean clothes and toiletries.
- Your medications (for at least 7 days).
- A First-Aid Kit.
- Important documents in a flame and water-proof container.
- Cell phones, chargers and battery backup.
- Cash in small bills ($100 or more).
- A flashlight and extra batteries (LED flashlights last longer).
- A Battery-Powered Radio.
- Spare car and house keys.
- Whistle to signal for help.
- Dust masks to filter contaminated air, and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place.
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- A map with your evacuation route marked
- A wrench or pliers to turn off utilities before you leave.
When you’re ready to evacuate, keep these tips in mind:
- Take roads less traveled. There are often secondary highways and state/provincial roads that go to the same place as major highways or interstates. Use Google Maps to plan your evacuation route.
- Use the Gas Buddy App to know where you can find gas when travelling. Be sure to fuel up at every single opportunity.
- Install the Zello app on your smartphone. Make sure your family members, coworkers and friends do this as well. It’s faster than making a phone call, and saves time texting and emailing. Plus, you can tune into public channels that provide emergency information.
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Use Expedia or hotels.comto book hotels in advance. You can always cancel it if you don’t need it. if needed.
- Unless you have a safe deposit box at your local bank, store your valuables, paperwork and jewelry in your dishwasher. It’s waterproof and built into your cabinets so it won’t blow around.
Be safe everyone.
For more information, visit:
With over 19 years of hard work and dedication, Eric has established ECW Computers and ECW Cloud Solutions as a trusted provider of customized IT solutions that drive the success of businesses throughout the country. We are headquartered in Broward County Florida, but over the past 7 years, our footprint has extended to nation-wide support leveraging cloud-first infrastructures, hosting, and modern support. Our focus at ECW is on implementing business-first technologies that directly contribute to achieving your strategic goals.
At ECW, Eric firmly believes in building client-provider relationships based on trust and understanding, rather than resorting to unnecessary upsells. With a genuine passion for helping businesses thrive, Eric is wholeheartedly dedicated to assisting our clients in enhancing their technology, giving them a competitive advantage in their respective industries.